Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
What is the scheme of examinations conducted by the SSC?
The Staff Selection Commission conducts Combined Examinations every year. Some of these examinations are Multi tier and some are Single tier.
Multi Tier Examination
1. Combined Graduate Level Examination (Tier-I, Tier-II, Computer Proficiency Test, Interview (No interview for the Posts of Tax Assistant/ UDCs/ Accountants)
2. Combined Higher Secondary Level (Written, skill test)
3. CPO (written, physical efficiency test & medical followed by interview)
4. Junior Engineer (Civil & Electrical)(written followed by interview)
5. Junior Hindi Translator (CSOLS) (written followed by interview)
6. Junior Hindi Translator (for Subordinate offices) (written followed by interview)
Single Tier Examination
1. Multi Tasking Staff Examination
What are the age limits and age relaxations for examinations conducted by SSC?
The age limits are different for different posts and are to be confirmed from the Notice of examination published in the Employment News/ Rozgar Samachar.
Generally, the age limits are 18 to 27 years on the crucial date.
The age concession in the upper age limit for SC/STs is 5 years, for OBCs it is 3 years and for physically handicapped candidates it is 10 years.
For widows, divorced women and judicially separated women, the age limit is 35 years for UR category; 40 years for SC/ST women and 38 years for OBC women.
The Notice of examinations may be consulted regarding age relaxations for Ex-servicemen and Central Government Civilian Employee (CGCE) candidates.
What are the vacancies for which recruitments/selections are done by SSC?
Higher Secondary Level
1. Lower Division Clerk
Steno Grade ‘C’ & Grade ‘D’
1. Steno Grade D Steno Grade C
1. Assistant, SI in CBI, Inspector (Central Excise Preventive Officer, Examinar),
2. Inspector (of Posts / Income Tax, AEO)/ Divisional Accountant / Auditor / UDC / Junior Accountant/ Tax Assistant
Central Police Organisations
1. Sub Inspector
Junior Hindi Translator (CSOLS)
1. JHT (CSOLS - Gr. VII)
Junior Hindi Translators (for subordinate offices)
Junior Engineer (Civil & Electrical)
What are the posts for which the SSC conducts examinations and what are the required qualifications?
The SSC conducts open examinations regularly for posts for which a large number of vacancies exist, some of these are;
1. Combined Graduate level [Assistant Grade, Auditors/ Jr.Accountants/ Upper Division Clerks, Divisional Accountants, Inspectors of Income Tax/ Central Excise, and CBI, Section Officer (Commercial) and Section Officer (Audit), Tax Assistant in Income Tax/ Central Excise]
2. Combined Higher Secondary level [Lower Division Clerks], CPO (Central Police Organisations) examination for recruitment of Sub-Inspectors in CRPF, BSF, CISF, ITBP, SSB, Stenographer Grade 'C', Stenographer Grade 'D' Examination, Junior Engineers (Civil & Mechanical) Examination, Multi Tasking Staff Examination etc.
3. Direct Interviews/ Skill Tests are held for isolated specialized posts, called Selection Posts, after inviting applications through advertisements, as and when such vacancies are reported to the Commission by various govt. departments/ ministries/ offices.
Can a candidate who has completed his education from an open school/ University apply for Commission’s Examination?
Yes, provided it is a recognized University/ Institution and he/she possesses the educational qualifications prescribed for the examination and is otherwise eligible.
Which category of candidates are exempted from SSC examination fees for examinations?
Women, Scheduled caste, scheduled tribe, physically handicapped and Ex-servicemen candidates are exempted from payment of fees.
OBC category as per state but not in central list. Which category should be mentioned in the application form?
The candidates are requested to refer to the relevant clause of the advertisement available on the official IBPS website for the same.
How to enroll with IBPS?
There is no general enrollment system in IBPS. Candidates can only apply to posts in Participating Organizations in response to posts advertised for, on the official IBPS website.
Is it compulsory to provide Category/disability certificate as per IBPS format?
Candidates are required to submit documents as per IBPS format as per the terms and conditions mentioned in the advertisement /Interview call letter.
How to file RTI in IBPS?
IBPS does not come under the purview of RTI Act, 2005.
What is the qualification criteria for CWE exam (RRB, PO, Clerk, Specialist officer)?
The candidates are requested to refer to the relevant clause of the advertisement available on official IBPS website for the same.