Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
How can I apply to the examinations to be conducted by the Commission?
Applications for all TNPSC examinations can be made ONLY through online mode. The applications can be filled at http://tnpscexams.net
Should I send a print out of online application?
It is not necessary to send a print out of online application.
Whether I should send any documents/ certificates at the time of applying online?
Not necessary. Only the shortlisted candidates will be asked to do so.
How should I pay the examination fee?
(a) Online Fee payment through Net Banking / Credit Card / Debit Card.
(b) Offline payment through designated Post offices and Bank branches in the State as specified in the Notification.
What is the minimum age limit?
The minimum age limit is 18 years (otherwise as stated in the Commission’s Notification).
What is the maximum age limit?
It depends upon the post you apply for(As specified for the post applied for).
What is the crucial date for calculation of age?
1st July of the year in which the notification is issued.
What is the general minimum educational qualification required?
(a) Group I - Any Degree (10+2+3)
(b) Group II & IIA - Any Degree (10+2+3)
(c) Group IV & VAO - Must have passed S.S.L.C Public Examination or its equivalent with eligibility for admission to Higher Secondary Courses of Studies (or) to College Courses of studies.
When I do not possess the exact qualification prescribed in the Commission’s Notification, but possesses the qualification that may be equivalent to the one prescribed in the said Notification, am I eligible to apply?
Yes. If so, the letter evidencing equivalence of qualification can be obtained from the University which awarded the degree to the candidates.
I do not possess adequate knowledge in Tamil. Am I eligible to apply?
Yes. Candidates who do not possess an adequate knowledge in Tamil may also apply. If selected, they should pass the Second Class Language Test (Full Test) in Tamil within a period of two year from the date of their appointment, failing which they will be discharged from service.
What are the vacancies for which recruitments/selections are done by the Tamil Nadu Public Service Commission?
The following are the various recruitments / selections made by the Tamil Nadu Public Service Commission.
(a) Group-I Services
1. Deputy Collector
2. Deputy Superintendent of Police (Category–I)
3. District Registrar, Registration Department
4. Assistant Director of Rural Development Department (Panchayat) / Personal Assistant (Development) to Collector
5. District Employment Officer
6. Divisional Officer in Fire and Rescue Services
7. Assistant Commissioner (C.T.)
8. Deputy Registrar of Co-operative Societies
(b) Group I A Services
1. Assistant Conservator of Forests
(c) Group I B Services
1. Assistant Commissioner, H.R. & C.E
(d) Group I C Services
1. District Educational Officer
Combined Civil Services Examination-II
Group-II (Interview post)
1. Deputy Commercial Tax Officer
2. Municipal Commissioner, Grade-II
3. Junior Employment Officer (Non-Differently Abled)
4. Junior Employment Officer (Differently Abled)
5. Sub-Registrar, Grade-II
6. Assistant Inspector of Labour
7. Assistant Section Officer (Other than Law and Finance Department)
8. Assistant Section Officer (Law Department)
9. Assistant Section Officer (Finance Department)
10. Assistant Section Officer in the Tamil Nadu Public Service Commission
11. Assistant Section Officer-cum-Programmer
12. Assistant Section Officer, Tamil Nadu Legislative Assembly Secretariat Service
13. Probation Officer, Social Defence
14. Probation Officer, Prison Department
15. Industrial Co-operative Officer, Industries Commissioner and Director of Industries and Commerce
16. Women Welfare Officer, Social Defence
17. Deputy Inspector of Survey Director of Survey and Settlements
18. Senior Inspector of Co-operative Societies in Reg.Co-op Scty
19. Receptionist, Thamizhagam Guest House, Udhagamandalam
20. Supervisor of Industrial Co-operatives Industrial Commissioner and Director of Industries and Commerce Department
21. Project Assistant Adi-Dravidar and Tribal Welfare Department
22. Audit Inspector in the Audit wing Hindu Religious and Charitable Endowments Administration Department
23. Assistant Inspector of Local Fund Audit Department and Internal Audit Department
24. Supervisor / Senior Clerk / Head Accountant / Junior Superintendent in the Tamil Nadu Agricultural Marketing Subordinate Service
25. Assistant Jailor, Prison Department
26. Assistant in Revenue Department
27. Executive Officer, Grade-II in Town Panchayats Department
28. Special Assistant in DVAC
29. Handloom Inspector
30. Special Branch Assistant in Intelligence Wing of Police Dept.
31. Senior Inspector of Co-operative Societies in Milk Production and Dairy Development
32. Assistant Inspector of Labour
33. Audit Assistant in Accounts Branch in Highways Dept.
Group-II (Non-Interview post)
1. Accountant in the Treasuries and Accounts Department
2. Junior Co-operative Auditor
3. Assistant in Secretariat (Other than Law and Finance)
4. Junior Technical Assistant, Civil Supplies Department
5. Personal Clerk (Other than Law and Finance Department)
6. Personal Clerk (Law Department)
7. Personal Clerk (Finance Department)
8. Personal Clerk in the Tamil Nadu Public Service Commission
9. Personal Clerk, Tamil Nadu State Planning Commission
10. Steno-Typist in Tamil Nadu Legislative Assembly Secretariat Service
11. Assistant in various departments Commissioner of Revenue Administration, Industries and Commerce, Medical and Rural Health Services, Registration, Transport, Prison, Police, Civil Supplies and Consumer Protection, Land Administration, Land Reforms, Fisheries, PWD, Technical Education, Backward Classes, Labour, Employment and Training, Commercial Taxes, Highways and Rural Development and Panchayat Raj, Public Health and Preventive Medicine, Archives and Historical Research, Forest, H.R & C.E., Social Defence, NCC., Animal Husbandry & Veterinary Services, Vigilance & Anti Corruption Dept., Information and Public Relation, School Education.
12. Assistant in Secretariat Department (Finance Department)
13. Assistant in Tamil Nadu Public Service Commission
14. Lower Division Clerk in Tamil Nadu Legislative Assembly, Secretariat
15. Planning Junior Assistant
16. Receptionist (Small Savings Department)
17. Assistant in Law Department
18. Assistant in Tamil Nadu Legislative Assembly Secretariat Service
Combined Civil Services-III
1. Station Fire Officer
Group-III A Services
1. Junior Inspector of Co-operative Societies
2. Assistant Supervisor of Industrial Co-operative Societies
3. Store Keeper in Employment and Training (Training wing) Department
4. Store-Keeper, Grade-II in Industries and Commerce Department
1. Junior Assistant (Security & Non-Security)
2. Bill Collector
4. Steno-Typist, Grade-III
5. Field Surveyor
Group-V A Services
1. Assistant in Secretariat (Recruitment by transfer) (Other than Law and Finance Department)
1. Forest Apprentice
Group-VII A Services
1. Executive Officer, Grade-I
Group-VII B Services
1. Executive Officer, Grade-III
1. Executive Officer, Grade-IV
III (B). Recruitment to all technical posts within the purview of the Commission.
What are the stages involved in making recruitments?
The stages involved in respect of recruitments made by the Commission are as follows:
(A) Selections to lower level posts
Only by written examination
The written examination is conducted in OMR method which is objective in nature(with multiple choice type questions). The answer papers are evaluated through computers and the marks of all candidates are published in TNPSC website. The details regarding their overall rank and rank in their respective communal category are also provided for that particular recruitment in respect of each candidate. The details of distribution of vacancies are also hosted by the Commission. The candidate, by correlating the ranking given as above, with the no. of vacancies in his / her communal category, may know the status of his/her selection. After this process, Counselling is being conducted in the Commission’s Office for the posts included in VAO, Group IV & Group II A.
(B) Selections to Middle level posts
By written examination and oral test
For the recruitment of middle level posts, there will be a written examination and an Oral Test. The written examination will be followed by the oral test. (Combined Engineering Services and Assistant Public Prosecutor etc.,). In these examinations, the candidates are admitted to written examination purely on the basis of claims given in their online application. The selections are made by the above method in respect of technical posts also. The maximum marks prescribed for written examination and oral test are being mentioned in the notification. The examination shall be of objective or descriptive type as the case may be.
Tamil Nadu Public Service Commission goes by the candidates claims made in their online applications and admits them to written examination. But when the documents in support of their claims in the online applications are being called for, lot of variations, misinformations etc., have been found out by the Commission. After due verification, the proper ranking is arrived by deleting the ineligible candidates and candidates are admitted provisionally to the oral test based on the number of vacancies in each category at the ratio of 1:2 / 1:3 in each communal category. This is finalised / done purely on basis of merit.
(C) For Selections to Higher Posts
The selection which carries higher scale of pay and duties and responsibilities are made with three stages of selection. It is done in cases of selections / recruitments for Group I, Group IC & Group II Services.
1. Preliminary Examination
In respect of preliminary examination, all the eligible candidates are admitted purely on the basis of the particulars given by them in their online applications. This examination consists of Objective type comprising of multiple choice type Questions, which are to be answered in OMR sheets. After the evaluation of the preliminary examination answer sheets, the candidates are admitted to appear for the Main Examination at the ratio 1:50 i.e., for one post in each reserved category, 50 candidates are admitted to the Main Written Examination on the basis of marks obtained by them in the preliminary examination or at the ratio as fixed by the Commission. However, in each reservation group, all the candidates who secure the same marks as that of the cut off marks of their reservation group shall also be admitted to the Main Written Examination and hence at times it may exceed 1:50 ratio. The marks obtained in Preliminary Examination will not be taken into account for further process of selection.
2. Main Written Examination
The Main Written Examination comprises of Objective and/or Descriptive Type. It comprises of more than one paper depending on the nature of the job. Appearance in all the papers is compulsory. The main examinations are mostly in descriptive nature and the evaluation of Answer Sheets takes place more than once to eliminate the scope of errors.
3. Oral Test
Based on the marks obtained in the Main written Examination, the candidates are selected for admission to oral test at the ratio of 1:3 where the vacancy in a particular communal category is 4 and below, & 1:2 when the vacancy is 5 and above.
How do we know that Tamil Nadu Public Service Commission arrives at Right key after the objections are raised by us on the tentative key?
If any candidate has objections over any tentative Answer key, he/she can mail / write by post the objections with grounds and evidences for such objection within one week. Such objections to keys are placed before an Expert Committee and keys are finalised. Based on the final key the answer papers are evaluated.
What are the rights of the candidates who appeared for Written Examination?
Candidates who write the examinations have the following right after the entire selection process is over and results are published.
(a) In objective type (OMR Sheet), the candidate on application, may get a copy of his/her OMR sheet free of cost.
(b) In Descriptive type of Examination, the candidates are allowed to peruse his/her answer paper in the Tamil Nadu Public Service Commission office.
(c) The candidates are permitted to copy the marks awarded to them for each question in first and second evaluation.
(d) This will help the candidates to confirm the genuineness and correctness of Evaluation of his/her Answer paper and ensure that all the answers are evaluated.
How can we know that we have been admitted to the examination?
SMS is being sent to all candidates by the Commission to those whose applications have been admitted finally that their Hall ticket is available in the Commission’s website and it can be downloaded. Likewise SMS is being sent to all the candidates who have been admitted to oral test.